Firefox Tweek: Remove Java Console

Lately on my windows desktop at home, Firefox was slow to start up. Just had always wrote it off as the computer had just booted up, its windows, give it a moment. But like any good sysadmin it began to wear on me. One thing that had always bothered me was the several Java Console versions in the Add-ons Manager. They were always listed as disabled but never had the option to remove them.

Did some research and some point out to use the Java control panel to hide the java console, nope didn’t work. Considering this was the work of older versions of Java, I completely uninstalled java and reinstalled, no good either. Then I found out Firefox has a global extensions folder in Program Files and there they were. Removed them all and started Firefox with a much better snap.

Advertisements

Firefox slow to lookup

Recently I noticed Firefox was acting rather slowly. Navigating to any page would seem like a chore and I could see the message in the status bar that Firefox was busy spending its time trying to lookup the domain name. At first I thought it was my university’s network, it has gone wonky before, but that was usually only for a few hours at most. Also no one else seemed to have the problem.

Even just recently updated to Firefox 7 and still was slow going. So I go and google my problem and lo and behold a solution. Firefox was busy trying ipv6 dns lookups everytime. So go into about:config, search for network,dns and set network.dns.disableIPv6 to True. Problem solved.

Found at http://www.numbersix.net/mt-archives/001342.html

Firefox 6 bug: Disappearing Menus

Not to long ago I decided to take CentOS 6 for a spin. Its very nice and I like the improves over version 5. I had Firefox 6 working before, so I set that up, luckily on their servers is an existing 64bit version already compiled.

Though not longer after that I noticed after some usage, menus would disappear. I would right click to check spelling or to copy/paste, and even the drop down menu for the address bar would disappear as soon as I moved my mouse over it. It was starting to drive me crazy.

But as most things go, I wasn’t the only one and someone already posted and found a solution!

“Go to Edit->Preferences->Content->Advanced (next to ‘Enable JavaScript’)-> and now make sure ‘Disable or replace context menus’ is not selected.”

Now I can continue to browse in peace.

Sun Ray Server and Firefox

So this morning I had to make a house call to fix a proffessor’s server that works their thin client system. Its an older dell workstation running CentOS with Sun Ray Server that exports the desktop to the thin clients. Kinda nifty when it works and this morning it wasn’t working.

Problem 1 was the prof installed a newer version of Java, which happened to be 64bit and SRSS requires 32bit java. I switched the system back to the old version but it still didn’t like that. So reinstall SRSS! Luckily it isn’t that hard to do and poof we are back in bussiness.

Then problem 2 happens. Firefox doesn’t want to work. I’m stumped because as root and as my own user it works, so why not for the prof’s user? So I use strace, which prints out way too much info, so I use ‘strace -eopen firefox’ to see what its opening. Its finding the system libraries, but still it just stops as some point and nothing happens, like its waiting. I use lsof to compare firefox working under root and as the prof’s user. Ah ha! The problem was a library used on the clients that was blocking up firefox. libc_ut.so is set under LD_PRELOAD.

This library is used to route audio from the server to the client but looks like for firefox(and research says same for thunderbird), this causes problems as its not fully POSIX compliant and thus firefox fails to start. I edited the firefox script to have ‘unset LD_PRELOAD’ at the beginning and there we go. All better now.